Grab your day planner: Random Acts of Kindness (RAK) Day is coming up fast—Wednesday, February 17, to be exact.
Are you new to the concept of this celebratory day? Established around fifteen years ago, this annual event provides the inspiration we all need to help make the world a better place, one good deed at a time. This year, Denver-based RAK Foundation—the small nonprofit with a big heart that’s behind this do-gooder day—is challenging everyone to “explore the good and make kindness the norm” because . . . well, why not? Kindness starts with one person and has the power to chain-react and touch countless lives. And in times like these, we could certainly all use an extra boost.
Explore Your Altruistic Side
There is so much positivity surrounding the concept of kindness, and for good reason. First, it’s a win-win proposition. In helping someone else, you too reap benefits. It’s true! Scientists have proven that kindness promotes a myriad of benefits, including health benefits such as lowered blood pressure, increased happiness, and elevated serotonin levels—for the giver and receiver alike. Additionally, kindness costs next to nothing (if anything at all). Now that’s something to smile about!
As you plan for Random Acts of Kindness Day, here are 10 ideas to get you started:
- Shovel your neighbor’s driveway or sidewalk.
- Slide a fiver under the windshield wiper of a total stranger.
- Whip up an extra-large batch of cookies and deliver to:
- Your neighbor
- Your kids’ school
- Your local library/post office/fire department/police station
- An assisted-living home
- Post a handwritten thank-you letter to someone who’s positively impacted your life.
- Help an elderly member of your community load his or her groceries into the car.
- Pay it forward and pick up the tab on the car behind you in the drive-through.
- Hold the door open for someone.
- Call an old friend to let him or her know you’re thinking of him or her.
- Make a donation (food, toiletries, or cash) to your local food pantry.
- Leave a super-sized tip.
Is one day just not enough? Get your goodness on and participate in Random Acts of Kindness Week from February 14–20. If you need bonus ideas or would benefit from a more guided celebration, check out the foundation’s website for calendars, coloring pages, tips, and even a handy printable toolkit. Happy February, and have fun “mak[ing] kindness the norm.”
Nestled among the rolling hills of Colorado’s coveted Douglas County, Pradera is the area’s premier master-planned community. Boasting an impressive list of community amenities, not to mention custom luxury homes on spacious lots, this community delivers an authentic Colorado lifestyle. Visit us today and begin your journey toward luxury homeownership.