Springtime is finally here! With Mother’s Day in the rearview mirror, it’s time to begin planning and growing a beautiful (and perhaps productive!) garden for summer and fall.
6 Steps to a Beautiful Garden
Ready to get started? Follow these simple steps and reap fragrant, bountiful rewards for your effort:
- Decide: First things first: you need to decide what you’d like to grow. A vegetable garden? Low-maintenance perennials? Fruit trees? Whether you envision a whimsical mix of wildflowers or a pristine bed of annuals, jot down your ideas and make a list of the plant varieties you’ll include to make your vision come to life.
- Research: Set yourself up for gardening success by answering the following questions:
- What’s the ideal environment for each of the plants you’ve chosen?
- What are its water and sunlight needs?
- How tall does each plant typically grow, and/or how far does it spread?
- Is the plant an annual or perennial?
- In what pH level does each plant thrive?
- Is companion planting advantageous among any of your selections?
- Plan: With a fresh sheet of paper, draw out a plan. First, choose a location for your garden. Next, determine a color scheme, if you wish, based on the plants you’ve selected. For a textured look, combine plants of varying sizes and heights (shortest to tallest is ideal). Lastly, consider adding other elements, such as boulders, river rock, or bark, for visual interest.
- Test: It’s time to get the 4-1-1 on the soil in your garden. Purchase a pH kit from your local hardware store or garden center, or follow these directions and use household items to get the job done DIY style. Then, using the research compiled in step 2, determine what amendments you’ll need to ready the bed for optimal plant growth.
- Invest: With all the preliminary steps accomplished, it’s time to get the moving pieces into motion. Perhaps you will need to invest in some supplies, such as gardening tools, soil amendments, weed barrier, or an irrigation system. Most certainly you will need to acquire seeds or starter plants. Making wise purchases at this stage can pay dividends for years to come, so give careful consideration to your to-buy list.
- Plant: You’ve envisioned a beautiful, healthy garden and taken steps to ensure its success—now it’s time to get busy planting! Grab your gloves, your gardening tools, sunscreen, a jumbo water bottle, and—most important of all—your carefully selected seeds and starter plants. Get outside in the sunshine and have a blast transforming a blank slate into a garden bed of promise.
Pradera is Douglas County’s premier master-planned luxury community, where stunning custom homes dot the rolling hills between Castle Rock and Parker. With spacious homesites surrounded by expansive views of Colorado’s breathtaking topography, Pradera homeowners enjoy innovative landscape designs and gorgeous gardens. Ready to kick your lifestyle up a notch? New homes are available now. Contact us today and begin your journey toward top-tier living.