Are your travel plans a little up in the air this summer? You’re not alone. There’s no denying times are strange right now. But even though summer may have a different vibe this year, one thing remains the same: the escape a good book can bring.
Books have the incredible capacity to whisk readers off to a different time and place. They transport us into worlds outside our own. The best part? We can read anywhere. So even if you can’t make it to the beach this summer, that shouldn’t stop you from enjoying a captivating beach read from the comfort of your own home.
Here are some can’t-miss titles to check out:
Anticipated New Releases
- The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett: Drenched in wisdom and compassion, this engrossing literary fiction explores the decisions we make and how they affect the course of our lives.
- All Adults Here by Emma Straub: Quirky characters explore the dynamics of family relationships in this insightful, satisfying story.
- Big Summer by Jennifer Weiner: Among the most emotionally charged events are weddings, as the characters in this Cape Cod–set tale experience firsthand. Watch as the drama unfolds in this quintessential beach read from a perennial author.
Book Club Faves
- Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens: Nature and grace take center stage in this beautifully written coming-of-age, unsuspecting who-done-it story set deep in the marshes of North Carolina.
- The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin: A story of human imperfection, love, and transformation, this easy read is sure to make you smile.
- Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton: Mix up a mojito, grab your sunglasses, and settle in on your outdoor lounger with this Cuban-set ultimate beach read (and follow it up with Cleeton’s highly anticipated The Last Train to Key West, out June 2020).
Have a Laugh
- The Jetsetters by Amanda Eyre Ward: A dysfunctional family confined aboard a Mediterranean cruise ship—what could possibly go wrong? Find out in this hilarious NYT bestseller.
- Wow, No Thank You.: Essays by Samantha Irby: Humor at its finest, find honesty and a unique perspective on today’s culture between the covers of this light read.
- Where’d You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple: How does parenthood change us, and how can we take charge when life seems to go off course? Explore life’s transformations through the eyes of dry-humored Bernadette (and follow up your reading with a viewing of Cate Blanchett’s spot-on portrayal of the title character in the 2019 rendition for the big screen).
Have a Thrill
- The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides: Get hooked on the thriller that Entertainment Weekly claims is “[a] mix of Hitchcockian suspense, Agatha Christie plotting, and Greek tragedy.”
- The Mother-in-Law by Sally Hepworth: Dive into the twisty, turbulent relationship between a woman and her mother-in-law . . . one that ends in death . . . in this suspenseful page-turner.
- The City We Became by N. K. Jemisin: Lose yourself in the fantasy of New York City like you’ve never known, from an author whose imagination and top-notch storytelling abilities shine in this sci-fi thriller.
Pradera is Douglas County’s premier master-planned luxury community. Stunning custom homes featuring gourmet kitchens, spacious bedrooms, and expansive outdoor living spaces dot the scenic hills between Castle Rock and Parker. Check out our new homes from award-winning builder Celebrity Custom Homes, available now. It’s time to kick your lifestyle up a notch at Pradera—contact us today to get started.