1. Jack, what is your background and how long have you been building?
A long time! I came to Colorado to get my Construction Management degree from the University of Denver and have stayed ever since. Amesbury Homes has been building custom homes in Denver for the past 15 years.
2. You are just finishing up a custom home – how did it go?
Great – I really worked with some fantastic people, they were a pleasure to build for, and things went smoothly througout the entire construction process.
3. In general, how does the custom construction process work?
We start by spending time with the customer to fully understand what they are looking for in terms of home site, design, finishes and budget. Then we start the design process primarily with the architect and the land planner, and once that is complete we begin finalizing the home’s finishes and custom details. After these steps are complete, we break ground and start construction on the home.
4. How can a customer be best prepared for the process?
They can start by analyzing how they live – the family’s needs and wants, and what they want the style of their new home to be. For inspiration, a lot of people begin by looking at magazines, watching TV, and visiting actual homes. But be assured that we have a team of pros that will be right beside you to assist you through this process.
5. Is it a good time to build?
As I said, our current home that is just being completed went very well, and that is partly because of the availability of subcontractors and materials. As we are coming out of a downturn, pricing is good, and interest rates continue to stay low.
6. What is your favorite part of the job?
I really enjoy working with people, starting from scratch and managing the process the whole way through.
7. I know you are a long-time Broncos fan, how are they going to do this year?
I’m encouraged, especially with John Elway back, but after the last two years it’s definitely a wait and see!